When movies are really good, they make you wish you could jump through the screen and be a part of the action. Unfortunately that kid in “Last Action Hero” used up the ticket that would allow people to actually do that.
The second best option we have is to go to the places where our favorite movies were shot and try to recreate some of the things the characters in the movies did. If you have been to Caesar’s Palace since “The Hangover” came out you know what I mean.
Below are five movies that you can actually live out yourself. If you are looking for a unique vacation idea, try one of these.
- What’s it about? – Two middle aged guys take a trip to California’s wine country before one of them is supposed to get married. One of the guys sulks, the other tries to have sex with everything.
- Why is it worth doing? – You get to drink craploads of wine!
- Where do you have to go? – California Wine Country. Really anywhere will do, but if you want to be super authentic, stay at the Buellton Marriott.
- What should you do when you get there? – Visit every winery. Drink lots of wine.
- Bonus – Try to sleep with waitresses, people who work at the wineries, and really anybody who shows the slightest interest in you.
Lost in Translation
- What’s it about? – Billy Murray and Scarlett Johansson are bored together in a Japanese hotel.
- Why is it worth doing? – If you love boredom, reenacting the movie would be your dream vacation. If you actually like to do stuff, you’ll be in Tokyo!
- Where do you have to go? – Tokyo, Japan. If you want to stay where the movie takes place, book a room at Park Hyatt Tokyo Hotel.
- What should you do when you get there? – Swim in the pool, get stuck on an elliptical machine, quietly get drunk in the hotel bar.
- Bonus – Meet a similarly bored American, bond for several days, have a fight, make up, then whisper mysteriously into his/her ear just before you take a cab to the airport.
- What’s it about? – Four guys have a bachelor party in Las Vegas. the morning after the party, one fo the guys is missing and nobody can remember anything.
- Why is it worth doing? – You get to get black out drunk and have the time of your life in Vegas.
- Where do you have to go? – Las Vegas, NV. If you want to stay where the characters in the movie stayed, you have to get a room at Caesar’s Palace.
- What should you do when you get there? – Drink lots of alcohol, gamble excessively (count cards if you can), and generally do everything you wouldn’t do at home.
- Bonus – Marry a stripper, steal Mike Tyson’s Tiger, and kidnap an Asian gang leader.
- What’s it about? – A Great White Shark terrorizes a small beach community, and then the town’s Sheriff, a grizzled old creepster, and Richard Dreyfuss set out to kill it.
- Why is it worth doing? – If you choose to live out the film, your vacation will start on a peaceful beach, and later you will basically just be deep sea fishing with friends.
- Where do you have to go? – The film takes place on a fictional island called Amity Island. The actual beach scenes were shot at Martha’s Vineyard, Massachusetts. So, to be authentic you should go to the Vineyard, but really any beach location will suffice.
- What should you do when you get there? – Lounge on the beach for a day or two. When you’re ready, fake a shark attack. Just start screaming “SHARK!” until everyone freaks out. The next day, rent a boat and go out on the ocean looking for sharks.
- Bonus – Sit on your boat at night and compare scars.
The Lord of The Rings Trilogy
- What’s it about? – Some hobbits, elves, wizards and such try to destroy a ring.
- Why is it worth doing? – Have you ever heard of LARPing? This would be an epic LARP. Nerds everywhere will envy you for life if you do this.
- Where do you have to go? – The film is set in a fictional world called Middle Earth, but it was shot in New Zealand. So, book a flight to Auckland.
- What should you do when you get there? – Strap on your armor and grab your sword or bow, and then just start walking through the countryside. Keep walking until you have to get back on a plane and head home.
- Bonus – Somehow convince Sir Ian McKellen to come with you and be Gandalf.
Alex is the founder of Travelated. He is an internet marketing expert, as well as an amateur chef and poker player. He loves traveling anywhere he can watch a soccer match. Alex currently resides in Las Vegas.